King RamaVII had this summer palace built in 1926 to the north of Hua Hin, consisting of three Spanish-style villas. Klai Kangwon Palace stands by the sea in the Hua Hin District of Prachuap Khirikhan Province.
It is now the full-time residence of His Majesty the King of Thailand. The palace was built in 1926 just after King Rama VII was crowned and this was specially constructed by the king for Queen Rambai Barni.
Originally the land area was 337 Rai 67 square meters. Later, during the present reign, the King has visited the palace almost every year so land has been bought and buildings constructed.
The building was built in Spanish-style-architecture with a facade overlooking the sea. A formal garden in front of the mansions has stone sculptures from Bali, sundials, nautical instruments, lamps and other ornaments.
This palace involved in historic event during the time of change of the country’s regime in 1932. While the King Rama VII was staying in Klai Kangwon Palace, the People’s Party, which was demanding that the country’s government be changed from absolute monarchy to democracy, sent three battle ships to the palace to deliver the message from the People’s Party to the King.